I like to make a few cans at a time, that way I could have some on hand if I would need when baking. After boiling you could leave in your pantry or in fridge (wherever you got some room), try to use during first three months after cooking, depending on the brand, after three months it could become sugary; which isn’t very good.
How to make Dulce de Leche:
- Water is a must! The water needs to be over the cans at all times, if you see your water is below the cans, while boiling pour in more water.
- Boil on medium heat, for exactly two hours. Set timer from the time you turned on the stove. Through out the two hours, just make sure water is above the cans.
- After two hours, take cans out and leave them out on counter or in fridge for them to cool down.
This recipe can be used in so many desserts:
Equipment I Used
Dulce de Leche (homemade caramel)
- soup pot
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk uncooked
- Place a can of sweetened condensed milk into a large pot and fill with water so the can is completely covered.
- Boil on medium heat for exactly 2 hours. Add more water through out the process if it's not covering the can.
- After 2 hours, take the can out and allow it to cool for a few hours on the countertop or in the fridge.