- For the cream cheese filling:
- 6 oz pack of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can of Original Country Cherry drained
- 1 sheet of store bought puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk (for brushing the Danish)
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup of powdered sugar
- 1/3 Tbsp of milk
- First, take the frozen pastry out of the freezer and let it thaw on the counter for about 30 minutes (don’t try to unfold the sheet straight from the freezer or it will break).
- Now, let’s prepare the filling. Beat cream cheese and sugar on low speed until creamy. Then add egg yolk, vanilla extract, lemon juice and salt and continue mixing until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Place the puff pastry on a tray lined with parchment paper, dust it with flour and roll it out slightly.
- Place the cream cheese filling down the middle of the puff pastry sheet lengthwise into a 3 inch wide strip. Spread the cherries on top of the filling.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors, cut the long sides of the pastry into 1 inch wide strips. Cut toward the filling leaving about 1 inch before you get to the filling.
- Alternating the sides, fold them in over the cream cheese mixture until it will look like a braided pastry with fruit peeking through.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let it cool before glazing. Then mix powdered sugar and milk and mix until well blended. Then drizzle it with a spoon over the pastry.
Cut into strips to serve.
I hope you enjoy this Cherry and Cream Cheese Danish!