- 2 medium sized heads of broccoli
- 2 leeks (you don’t use the green part, only white and light green)
- 1 large potato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup half and half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Let’s prepare the vegetables first. Separate broccoli stems from florets, cut the florets into small pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the stems into slices and place them in a separate bowl. Peel and cut your potato into small pieces and place them into the same bowl with broccoli stems. (You’re going to add different vegetables at different times, and I find it easier to keep them in separate bowls)
- Thinly slice your leeks.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large stock pot. Add leeks and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broccoli stems and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of broth and water, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the lid and simmer until broccoli stems and potatoes are soft.
- Now, add the florets into the pot, bring to a boil and cook on low for 5 more minutes.
- Take off the heat and puree the soup by adding small batches into a food processor or a blender. If you like your soup more chunky, you can puree half of the soup and leave half of it as it is.
- Return the soup back into the pot, add cream and let it heat through before serving.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve with croutons. Find the recipe of Homemade Croutons in our “Side Dishes” section. Crouton Recipe
Have your self a delicious bowl of Broccoli with leeks soup!