- ¼ cup warm water
- 1-teaspoon yeast
- 1-Tablespoon flour
- ½-teaspoon sugar
- 1 ¼-cup warm water
- 2 -Tablespoon honey
- 3- Tablespoon melted butter
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2-cups unbleached white flour
- 1-Tablespoon bran flakes
- ¼-cup whole-wheat flour
Make the starter:
- In the bread machine pan combine 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 Tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon yeast. Stir to dissolve. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Make the dough:
- After 30 mins, to the starter, add the dough ingredients 1 1/4 cup warm water, 2 Tablespoons of honey, 3 Tablespoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour, 1 Tablespoon bran flakes, and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour. Stir with wooden spoon.
- Set your bread machine to dough setting. Mine usually take 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- After the dough has risen, and done, form the dough into a smooth ball.
- Place the dough into a baking pan or from into a loaf shape ( free form or use a loaf pan) and cover with a warm damp cloth. Let rest for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 380.
Bake the bread:
- Score the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle with some water and place in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 40 minute or until crust is golden brown. Remove the bread from the oven and from the pan. Let cool about 30 minutes.
- Enjoy a fresh, warm, delicious whole wheat bread.