- 2 cups finely chopped or grounded pecans. (you could use walnuts instead)
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated yolks and whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of softened unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- 5 ounces (150grams) dark or milk chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray or butter up your cake pan (I used 9″ springform pan).
- Mix dry ingredients together: 2 cups nuts, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup of flour.
- Beat 1 cup of softened unsalted butter (2 sticks).
- Add in half of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract; keep beating until creamy.
- Add in 5 egg yolks one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together egg whites until frothy.
- Add in the rest of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Beat together until fluffy and stiff.
- Using a large spatula, fold the egg whites mix into the butter.
- With spatula add into the dry ingredients (nuts, flour, baking powder).
- Put into the greased pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. (Or until you stick a toothpick in it, and pick comes out clean.)
- Over barely simmering water, put a bowl on top and melt 5 ounces of chocolate.
- Add in 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter. Melt.
- Turn heat off and whisk 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until glossy.
- Pour on cake when cake cools down.
- Ready to enjoy!