- 1 package of fillo dough
- 2 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 2 cups of sugar + 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (not pictured)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Melt 1/2 cup of unsalted butter on the stove or microwave, set a side.
- Grind 2 cups of walnuts. Add together with a 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.
- On a baking sheet lay out 8 layers of fillo dough, brush each layer with melted unsalted butter. (brush the baking sheet with butter if it’s the kind that would stick while baking)
- Spread half of the walnut mixture.
- Add 8 more layers, brushing with butter after each layer.
- Spread the rest of the walnut mix and add the rest of the layers, again brushing with butter.
- Cut into diamond shapes.
- Put into the oven for 25 minutes.
- In a small pan add 2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar and 1 Tablespoon of honey. On medium/low and stirring occasionally boil for 20 minutes. Take off heat. Let the syrup completely cool down before pouring on the baklava.
- Pour the cooled syrup on the baklava right after you take it out of the oven.