- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
- 10 ounce can of mandarins in juice
- 3 ounce package lemon flavored jello
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream (473 ml)
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 2 fresh mandarines for decor (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9″ round cake form.
2. On high speed, beat 5 large eggs with 1 cup of sugar. Until a pale yellow color. Add in 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
3. Lower the speed to the lowest and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 cup of flour. Mix for one 1 minute.
4. Transfer mixture to ready cake form. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted. Cool down completely.
5. From 1 can of mandarines, divide juice from the mandarines into two different bowls.
6. Into the bowl with the juice add 3 ounces of lemon flavored jello (1 packet). Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute. Or you could go the healthier way and bring it to a boil in a sauce pan. Let it cool down.
7. In a medium sized bowl beat 2 cups of heavy whipping cream with 2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar until stiff.
- Combine with jello, on lowest speed.
- Transfer into a form exactly the same size and shape like you made the sponge cake in. Refrigerate until completely set, 45 minutes.
8. Slice the sponge cake horizontally in the middle. Take the mandarine mousse and put it on top of the bottom slice of cake, cover with the other half. Refrigerate until your ganache is ready.
9. Melt 4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, until smooth. Pour over cake. ( you could also try a different kind of ganache click on the link: http://imagecooking.com/2014/10/28/3-minute-ganache/
10. I left a bit of chocolate ganache and dipped fresh mandarine slices and decorated the cake. Enjoy!
Products I used in this recipe: