- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 3 egg whites from large eggs
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Drop of pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
For the top:
I made 1/4 of the ganache recipe.
- Chopped pecans
- I make the meringue first since it takes a couple of hours in the oven. You can make the cake part first, won’t make a difference.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Lightly butter up a 9″ cake pan.
- Separate egg yolks from the egg whites from 3 large eggs.
- In an electrical mixer beat 3 egg whites together with 3/4 cup of sugar, for 1 minute.
- Add a drop of vanilla extract. Beat together for 3 minutes, or until meringue becomes stiff.
- Chop 1/2 cup of pecans.
- With a spatula stir in chopped pecans into the meringue.
- Transfer to prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours at 250F on the middle rack.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter up 9″ cake pan.
- In an electrical mixer, beat together 4 large eggs with 1 cup of sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Turn the speed of the mixer to the lowest. Sift in 1 cup of flour.
- Give it a good stir to incorporate the flour well into the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350F.
- Let the cake completely cool down.
- Slice it horizontally in half.
- With a hand mixer, whip up 16 ounces of heavy whipping cream. Until stiff.
- Add in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
Putting the cake together:
- I moisten the cake a bit with 1/2 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Combine the two ingredients and pour it lightly on the inside of the cake slices.
- Spread 3 Tablespoons of the whipped up cream on the bottom part of the cake.
- On top of the cream put the pecan meringue.
- Spread another 3 Tablespoons on the meringue.
- Put the top slice of cake on top.
- Spread cream all over the cake.
- Decorate the cake as you like. I decorated with left over cream and in the middle I chopped up pecans and drizzled ganache over it. Recipe for Ganache
Items I used for this recipe: Kitchen-aid electrical mixer KitchenAid KV25GOXER Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer, Empire Red Spatula Wilton 570-1121 Easy Flex 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set, Blue 9″ cake pan Cuisinart AMB-9SP 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Springform Pan, Silver Hand mixer Kitchenaid 5 Speed Hand Mixer – Empire Red Mixing bowls Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear Knife for chopping Global G-48 – 7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife