- 3 1/4 cup unbleached flour (I used Canadian flour)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup warm 2% milk
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups farmers cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- You can place all the ingredients into your bread machine. Select DOUGH cycle and let it do the job for you. This works great!
- What also works great is if you want to mix the dough yourself. You could place the ingredients into electrical mixer bowl, or use your hands to mix.
- Into a small bowl add 1 cup warm milk, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Into a separate medium size bowl sift 3 1/4 cup of flour, add 1 egg, 3 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Give it a light stir.
- Add milk with yeast to flour bowl and stir it until a soft ball forms. Should not be sticky anymore.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel. Let it rise for 1 1/2 hours. Push the dough down and let it rise one more time.
- Pre heat oven to 350F.
- Butter up or spray a large baking sheet.
- Cut dough into 20 egg size pieces.
- With a cup press down in the middle of each ball.
- Whisk 1 teaspoon of milk with 1 egg. Brush each pastry.
- Fill each pastry with cheese filling.
Cheese filling: Combine cheese, 2 egg yolks, 2 Tablespoons sour cream, 3 Tablespoons melted butter, and 4 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.