- 5 potatoes I use yellow potatoes
- 3-4 chicken thighs bone-in preferable
- 1 cup spinach chopped (if you have sorrel, use it instead. It’s better in this soup)
- 3 large eggs boiled
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped (Italian or regular)
- 1/3 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/3 cup green onion chopped * when you chop the onion, separate the green and white parts (you will need both)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 bay leaves fresh or dry
- 1 quart water 4 cups
Fill up a pot with water (about four cups). Add in the chicken and bay leaf. Put in 1/2 Tablespoon of salt. Boil for 30 minutes. Strain boiled chicken into a bowl, transfer the water back into the pot, and put the chicken pieces aside.
Add peeled and cut potatoes into the water and boil until the potatoes are soft.
Meanwhile, chop up all the greens and the boiled eggs.
Chop up the white part of the onion and sauté on butter until light brown color.
As soon as the potatoes are done, add in the chopped greens, eggs, and sautéed onions to the pot.
Salt to taste! (Pepper is just an option.)
Bring to a boil and enjoy!
Borschts are usually served with a spoon of sour cream.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 720mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 17.5% | Vitamin C: 26.7% | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 29.6%